ENTREPRENEUR

Who Else Wants the Secret to the Best Real Estate Closing Gifts?

Who Else Wants the Secret to the Best Real Estate Closing Gifts?

I can’t stress the importance of giving closing gifts that leave a lasting impression if not, don’t give one at all.

So, I went to the doctor today and well let me preface by telling you, I absolutely love my doctors’ office and every single member of their staff. They are the bomb. I even get my chai tea fix whenever I’m there.

Anyway, one of the new girls asked while she was taking my vitals, if I took off work today.

Not the first time I’ve heard that question in the middle of the week, in the middle of the day. I get it. People are naturally curious about what I do. Even more so curious as to why the heck I’m not at work at “odd” times of the day. The only other people in the doctor’s office at that time are in retirement bliss.

Not wanting to necessarily get into all the details, about what I did, I simply said: “oh I work from home”. I know, shocking a Realtor who isn’t waiting for any and every moment to hand a stranger a business card. Sometimes, I’m just not in the mood, for the oh my sisters’ cousin is a realtor. {Insert emphatic eye roll}

She proceeded to ask me what I did. When I told her I was a realtor, excitedly she told me she just purchased a home with her husband and they were still getting settled in.

(Fill in the next 5 minutes of the conversation with new home talk)

Fast forward

I figured we were cozy enough at this point for me to ask her what I really wanted to know,  “Would you hire your realtor again?”

I mean, why not get fresh feedback from someone who has absolutely no reason to lie to me. Maybe she can give me insight into something she loved that her realtor did, that I can now implement.

Well, it was a thought, she responded with an unenthusiastic meh and shoulder shrug. But now, I’m up shits creek and just had to ask, “why?”

She said everything went well, she just didn’t feel like she and her family mattered to the agent. That everything felt very, very professional.

As I nodded my head in acceptance, I knew I didn’t completely understand what she meant. If someone’s biggest complaint about me is that I was too professional, I think I would survive at life, possibly even excel in it.

Probably the most interesting part of the exchange is when she leaned in towards me and in a low whisper said, “she gave me a wine bottle as a housewarming gift,” “we don’t even drink wine”.

She must have seen the curiosity on my face because she then told me her realtor is a friend of one the other women who work in the office, that’s why she was whispering.

Best Closing Gifts

Photo by Kristina Flour

To think she summed up her “overly” professional realtor experience to a meh for a bad closing gift, is disheartening.

I can say I will never have that problem; my favorite website for closing gifts is www.realtywares.com. I love how simple the site is and interest specific.

On a typical transaction, with some exceptions, like a cash sale, it will take between 30 and 45 days to close. That’s 4-6 weeks minimum for us agents to get to know our clients. Not to mention the weeks or sometimes months it takes to even find a property. That is plenty of time to find the perfect closing gift.

Now I don’t know about you guys, but the moment I start working with a new client, I’m taking both mental and physical notes (my memory sucks at times) of things they like, don’t like; the kids, the husband, the grandma, even the dog. Do they talk about barbecuing often or are they super excited about the garden? Do they avoid speaking to you or going to see houses on a Sunday because its football season, if so what team are they rooting for? Golf, wine, tea? Anything that gives me insight into who they are and what they like.

Most agents are finding out these little tidbits of information as we move along, it’s apart of our discovery and relating process, but what some of us aren’t doing is keeping that information for when it’s most needed. When its time to make a lasting impression: the closing gift. I find out what my clients like, then I go on www.realtywares.com, type it into their search box and any gift related to that category pops up. So far, they’ve had something for all of my clients’ taste.

They even have these glass cutting boards, where you send them a photo of your clients’ new home and a cute little message and they’ll put it on the inner layer of the glass. No more, tacky cutting boards with your logo on it (literally no one wants that anyway). Anyway, check them out or at least try harder to not give crappy closing gifts.

(30) Comments

1. Meanwhile I was shocked that stuff like this happens cause we never got a closing gift lol. Nor have I heard of this thing. That was years back tho so maybe this is something new. With that being said, I will keep my eye open for the next home I purchase. Lol

1. Danica says:

It’s not something all agents do. I personally love giving a closing gift. After we’ve been working together to find the perfect home for so long, I am just as excited as my clients when we finally close. I want to be the first person to say welcome home.

2. I absolutely agree. Our realtor bought us a gift he knew we would use and it was so thoughtful! Definitely left a good lasting impression.

1. Danica says:

That’s exactly what I mean, just like you remember how great it was, I’m sure you would have equally remembered if it was awful lol

3. Nate L. says:

These are all great ideas. I remember when I closed my first house, I didn’t get any kind of gift from my realtor. Lol!

1. Danica says:

That is so disappointing to hear, I wish it was something we all did!

4. Closing gifts are the classy thing to do. Just make sure it matches because my realtor gave wine, which I’m sure it is a lovely type but I don’t drink, lol.

1. Danica says:

Same thing that happened to the lady in the post lol… shame

5. Christa says:

I got a closing gift when I bought my first home. It was so thoughtful and perfect. I recommended my realtor to EVERYONE. Among the gifts was a silver keychain which I still use!

1. Danica says:

See, that’s the way to give a closing gift. Memorable!

6. My agent gave us 2 VIP passes to the Mariners including parking. It was an awesome gift that we really treasured after buying our home!

1. Danica says:

WOW! That was incredible.

7. Surprising that a closing gift can make all the difference, instead of “the first impression is the one that counts”, instead its “the last impression is the one that counts”

1. Danica says:

It makes sense, if someone was amazing to you but the last interaction was horrible, you will always say yea they were great but… The last impressions is just as important in a service business, as a first impression.

8. love faith more says:

Great ideas! everyone i guess love a gift given by someone. How thoughtful and sweet it is. Such a wonderful feeling.

1. Danica says:

Absolutely, we all love being on the receiving end of thoughtful gifts.

9. Rachael Eberhardt says:

I haven’t tried to experience closing a deal with any realtor but I can say that giving a closing gifts to your client is not bad but you need to make sure that is a proper gift for him/her.

Yup! agreed.

10. Catherine Santiago Jose says:

My mother in law is a realtor and once she got a deal with one of her clients she gave them a simple gift that can be useful to them.

1. Danica says:

Awesome! That is definitely the way to do it.

11. It sounds like you’re great at your job even up to the farewell. I haven’t had the pleasure of purchasing a house (yet) but hope that my realtor is as experienced and thoughtful as you appear to be.

1. Danica says:

When you do purchase your first home, I hope the experience with your realtor is amazing!

12. Danielle says:

My realtor gave me a gift card to a homegoods store at closing. It was super thoughtful and totally did make a lasting impression.

1. Danica says:

Yes that’s great, so you can pick out the decor you want!

13. Shane Cabuhat says:

Everyone wants to receive a memorable and useful gifts. If I am in their position, I would gave my clients that kind of closing gifts so they can use it for a lifetime.

1. Danica says:

Exactly, seems simple lol!

14. Ellie Plummer says:

I will be buying a house in the next few years so this is actually really helpful and interesting.

15. Cindy s. says:

Very interesting! I never bought a home and didnt knw agemts gavr closing gifts. I agree 6 weeks is enoigh time to.figure out your clients taste.

1. Danica says:

Some agents actually don’t do this at all.

16. Hi, i feel that i noticed you visited my website thus i got here to “return the desire”.I’m trying to find things to improve my site!I assume its good enough to use a few of your ideas!!